The membership of Branch Memorial, a little church located in the east end of Richmond, was dwindling. They decided to sell the church and build a church in the west end and named it Skipwith United Methodist Church.
Skipwith began services on September 22, 1957 in Skipwith Elementary School. A month later Sunday School started. The church was chartered on February 2, 1958. The cornerstone laying for Skipwith UMC was Sunday, May 22, 1960. The first service in the new church was on July 24, 1960 and the addition was added in the fall of 1965.